Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wedding Details Thus Far

For those who wonder where we are in the whole planning process:

[o] My dress is being made by my stepparents, David and Dorita of Reyen Design Studios. They are amazing when it comes to clothing and textiles, the plan for the dress is awesome, and I'm REALLY excited about it! I've done two fittings thus far, will be going back for further fittings sometime in early summer.

[o] I'm currently being persnickety about photographers, going over and over a list our friend Jess made for us. Ryan is mostly letting me make the decision, since I'm the one who cares the most about it. Way I see it, the pictures are very high up on the priority scale, what we'll show our children and grandchildren and so on when they ask about their parents/grandparents/etc. Photographs are the most interesting part of a family's history. They'd better be good!

[o] The save the dates are being printed and will soon be in our hands and ready to be addressed and mailed. We loved Jess's design immediately and look forward to seeing it transformed for the invites and other paper materials for the wedding.

[o] One decision that may not seem huge but kinda is involves the attendant wear. As I mentioned in the last post, the attempt at finding bridesmaid dresses while in Indiana was, well, inconclusive at best. I got so stressed just thinking about it that I couldn't be coherent about it anymore. There was a joke which led to a light bulb moment which led to an agreement: Ryan is handling the bridesmaids' dresses, I'm handling the groomsmens' tuxes. Ryan is much better at, well, clothing in general, while picking out the details for the guys is a much easier prospect for me. We'll be discussing the decisions as we make them and have veto power and so forth, but otherwise we've basically traded responsibilities. As Aurelie, my maid of honor, put it, it may be the best and smartest decision ever and why did no one think of it sooner?

[o] Finally, I've decided that, as much as I've loved reading them over the years, I'm going to put a hiatus on reading the weddings from Off Beat Bride. This isn't really a huge decision in the scheme of things, but I realized that I was taking in the craftiness, DIY expertise, budget genius, and other awesome aspects of these weddings, and turning them into personal guilt trips. Why can't I hand-make all the centerpieces? Why can't I fashion the bouquets and boutonnieres out of old newspapers and chicken wire? Why can't I find a reception hall that's incredibly interesting and entertaining and costs $5? BECAUSE THAT'S NOT WHO I AM. Ahem. Sorry. Point is, I'm shifting the focus back from What We Can Do to What We're Doing, which is a little bit harder than it sounds.

There are many other ideas for little details brimming out of my head, but I'm not sure which of them I'll be telling and which will remain surprises, sooo that's all for now! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment